All children need enriching summers that help them keep up academically, try new things, and return to school in fall ready to learn.
High quality summer learning programs provide these elements and more to help students- especially more vulnerable ones- avoid “summer slide.” Summer slide is learning loss that occurs when students don’t have opportunities to practice and grow skills during the summer. It accounts for 2/3rds of the learning gap between lower income elementary students and their higher income peers.
We have plans to provide summer learning programs for 350 students throughout Rochester this year! ESN is a proud partner in Rochester efforts – including Greater Rochester Summer Learning Association’s SummerLEAP - to support all students with a robust landscape of enriching and effective summer programming that promotes skill social development and fosters academic success.
How do we do it? Our EnCompass Summer Learning Programs:
• Use inquiry-based models and engaging themes to provide rich context for exploration, skill-building, and community connections
• Collaborate with schools, colleges, and community agencies to create opportunities for students to try new things, discover strengths, and foster college and career-bound mindsets.
• Assess all students to help them set and reach personalized goals, receive academic support in areas of need.
• Provide specialized support for children in foster care, at risk of justice system involvement, or facing poverty and trauma to help them build a path toward success in school and in life.
• Represent year-round learning resources for students who we help during the school year and during the summer
We hope you have plans that will help your child have an adventurous summer filled with learning opportunities. If you need more information about how you might enroll your child in a summer learning program, here are some resources:
• Check with your child’s school and afterschool program about summer learning options
• The City of Rochester offers summer learning and summer camps: http://www.cityofrochester.gov/summerlearningchallenge/& http://www.cityofrochester.gov/article.aspx?id=8589961198
• Rochester City School District offers summer learning programs: https://www.rcsdk12.org/Page/49138
• The Rochester Public Library offers summer literacy programs for kids of all ages, summer program will be listed soon: https://roccitylibrary.org/
• ROC Parent lists a variety of camps and activities: http://www.rocparent.com/search/location/summer-programs/#letter_filter=all&ord=last_modified&page=1